Monday, August 18, 2014

New Hardware

I just ordered both a PowerBook 190CS and an 1400C on eBay for a combined total of $64.90.  I'll post pictures of the hardware once it arrives.  Neither one comes with a power adapter, so I've been on the hunt for genuine replacements.  I know I'll probably end of spending more money on the adapters than I did either laptop combined.  I see there are dedicated Linux distros for 68K Macs, so I've started to read up on the documentation to help prepare for when I finally am able to install it on either or both.

I see that progress on it has pretty much been halted since 2005, but my goal is to help revive that with whatever time I can spare.  Not only that, but to encourage others to do so as well.  If you are interested, I strongly encourage you to check it out and volunteer some of your time. Of course, there are other distributions available and I wouldn't condone you for utilizing one of those instead. :)

Lastly, I wanted to post a screenshot of my desktop from the G4 PowerBook running Debian Wheezy 7.6.



Speaking of that, the command below is one of several ways to show you what version of Debian you are currently running.  Running from LXTerminal or whatever terminal utility/program you prefer.

lsb_release -a

According to the utility's man pages, the utility is designed to provide Linux distribution-specific information. The -a option (sometimes commonly referred to as a flag) tells it to print all information provided by the utility.  A very simple utility with only a handful of available options, but useful when needing to know your currently running version of Debian.

My next post will cover one of my favorite types of applications, an RSS reader called Liferea.

As always, please provide any comments or suggestions you may have in the comments below.  My goal is to help keep older PowerPC Mac hardware alive and useful.


No comments:

Post a Comment